Open to unpublished writers living in the Warrnambool district
Are you an emerging writer living in Warrnambool? The Warrnambool Library is providing opportunities to showcase and celebrate the work of as-yet unpublished local writers. Warrnambool is a community with rich diversity and we are interested in hearing from its many and varied voices. We encourage submissions from Traditional Owners, recent migrants and longer-term residents, culturally diverse peoples, LGBTQI+, those with a disability or are differently-abled. We’re calling for Warrnambool’s emerging writers to share their stories with us.
Submissions can be any genre: Fiction, Non-fiction, YA, Junior Fiction, Short Stories
Entry is free, however we can only accept one entry per person.
Bestselling local authors Jock Serong (The Burning Island) and Maya Linnell (Magpie’s Bend)
The four selected entries will have the opportunity to have their work publicly read as part of The Warrnambool Library’s Literary Lounge series.
Submissions must be a maximum of 1000 words. Please read the Rules and Regulations below.
Submissions will be accepted via email or hardcopy. The official submission form must be attached and can be accessed online or from the Warrnambool Library. If submitting via email, submission form must be attached as a separate document to the creative work.
Opens 01 July
Closes 07 August (date extended due to Lockdowns)
Submissions to: firstname.lastname@example.org or The Library Warrnambool, 25 Liebig Street, Warrnambool 3280
Rules and Regulations:
- Unpublished writers are defined as those writers who have not had a novel, or collection of short stories commercially published
- For the purposes of this program the Warrnambool district includes: Areas within the boundaries of Warrnambool City, Dennington, Allansford, and Woodford
- Entrants must be aged 15+
- Entrant name or identifiers are not to appear anywhere on the work submitted for consideration.
- The submitted work must be the authors own work and not breach the copyright of others.
- The submitted work must not have been previously published in its current form.
- The submitted work must be within the accepted word limit.
- The submitted work must be 12point standard font such as Calibri or Times New Roman and 1.5 line-spaced
- Successful entrants agree to either reading their work, or having their work read for them, at a Warrnambool Library event such as the regular Literary Lounge series.
- Submissions that do not abide by the Rules and Regulations as outlined here will be removed from the judging process
- Copyright remains with the author
- Winners will be announced at the Warrnambool Library Literary Lounge – Crime Night, Thursday 26 August 2021, and contacted via phone or email Friday 27 August 2021
- Details of our winners may also appear on the Warrnambool Library website and / or social media